Sunday, December 8, 2024

The difference between UDL & DI

 

         Counting by 5's for all 

The lesson I chose from Ted-Ed is a lesson  on counting by 5s that targets first-grade students, typically ages 6–7, and is designed to develop their skip-counting skills through engaging and interactive methods. 


      To tailor this lesson to my first-grade classroom, I would begin by introducing the concept using the above YouTube video, pausing frequently to emphasize key points and encourage active participation as students count along with the video. I would support their understanding with visual aids, such as a number chart that highlights multiples of 5, making it easier for them to follow along. To keep the lesson engaging and interactive, I would incorporate movement activities like clapping, jumping, or tapping desks for each multiple of 5, helping students connect physically with the counting rhythm. Differentiation would be built into small group instruction advanced learners could extend their practice to higher numbers, exploring patterns in skip counting, while students who need more support could focus on a smaller range, such as 5 to 30, building their confidence step by step.


To ensure all abilities are supported, I would integrate a variety of strategies. Visual learners would benefit from colorful number charts and subtitles in the video to reinforce number recognition. For kinesthetic learners, I could use floor number lines or have students group objects into sets of 5 for a hands-on experience. English Language Learners (ELLs) would receive pre-teaching of number names using flashcards and simple, repeated language. Students with special needs would have access to tactile supports like counters and number lines they can touch and manipulate. Advanced learners could be challenged further by skip-counting backward by 5s or exploring how skip counting relates to early multiplication concepts. These modifications ensure that every student in my class, regardless of their learning style or ability, can access the material, engage meaningfully, and build their understanding of skip counting.




The principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) would be incorporated throughout the lesson. UDL ensures that lessons are presented in a variety of ways so that students understand the content in the best way they will understand and learn the lesson. Representation is addressed by using the video as an auditory and visual resource, supported by manipulatives and charts. Action and expression are facilitated by allowing students to demonstrate their understanding through writing, verbal counting, or hands-on activities. Engagement is enhanced with an interactive ball-toss game, where students say the next multiple of 5 with each catch. 


       Similarly, Differentiated Instruction (DI) principles guide lesson planning. For content, I would adapt materials, offering blank number lines for advanced learners and simplified charts for beginners. The process would involve small-group guidance for struggling students and opportunities for advanced learners to explore real-world applications, such as counting money. Product differentiation allows students to choose how they demonstrate learning, whether through posters, worksheets, or verbal presentations. The learning environment would be flexible, with options for group activities or quiet individual workspaces. Some activities, such as the ball-toss game, overlap between UDL  and DI 
by actively involving students in collaborative learning.

https://mycarespace.com.au/resources/creating-autism-social-stories

             One key takeaway from this class is the importance of integrating multimedia resources, like YouTube videos, to make lessons engaging and accessible. Using Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and Differentiated Instruction (DI) frameworks ensures that every student has an equitable opportunity to succeed. This approach reinforces my commitment to creating an inclusive, student-centered learning environment where all learners can thrive.  I also learned about social stories, which has been a game changer in my classroom.  I am able to make social stories to help my students understand certain rules and expectations in a fun and interactive way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The difference between UDL & DI

           Counting by 5's for all  The lesson I chose from Ted-Ed is a lesson  on counting by 5s that targets first-grade students, typ...