Sunday, December 1, 2024

Do Over?

 



Describe the past situation including: who was involved, what happened, how you reacted, and the outcome. 

In my first-grade classroom, I had a student named Michael who faced significant challenges with attention and focus. He frequently moved around the room, made noises, and found it difficult to stay seated for more than a few minutes. Despite my efforts to provide individualized support, including visual aids, sensory tools, movement breaks, and positive reinforcement. Michael required constant supervision and struggled to complete tasks independently. His behavior often disrupted the classroom dynamic, making it difficult to balance supporting him while keeping the rest of the class engaged and on track. His parents felt his challenges were more behavioral than neurological, which added another layer of complexity. I often felt overwhelmed and under-supported, unsure if I was truly meeting his needs in the best way possible.




Explain how, what you learned this week, would have/ have not influenced how you handled the situation differently. Be sure to to include specific details to support your justification.

This week’s modules on ADHD neuroscience, characteristics, and behaviors have given me valuable insight into how I could have approached the situation differently. Understanding that Michael’s actions were likely rooted in neurological differences, rather than defiance or choice, would have shifted my mindset and allowed me to implement more proactive strategies. For example, while I already use a timer for whole-class transitions, I now realize that having a separate, personal timer for Michael could have helped him feel more in control and better prepared for changes in activities.



Describe how this week's information regarding ADHD neuroscience, characteristics, behaviors, and best classroom practices will inform future positive behavior classroom interventions. Be sure to to include specific details to support your justification.

I also see how incorporating more targeted multisensory tools might have better supported his need for stimulation. Although I had sensory materials like Play-Doh, Orbeez, and Legos available, because they were provided by the school. I didn’t have the background knowledge to select tools that would address his specific needs. Now, I understand that items like weighted lap pads, fidget bands for his chair, or even noise-canceling headphones might have helped him regulate better. These kinds of adjustments could have reduced his need for constant teacher intervention and fostered greater independence. With the right tools and strategies, I believe I could have created a more supportive environment for Michael while maintaining the flow of the classroom for all students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The difference between UDL & DI

           Counting by 5's for all  The lesson I chose from Ted-Ed is a lesson  on counting by 5s that targets first-grade students, typ...